Pricey Close friends,
This has been very a yr. The reckoning that began in October 2017 has continued to thrust the marketplace in approaches no 1 could have at any time imagined. The #MeToo and #TimesUp movements have galvanized girls in the field to discuss out and desire systemic modify. The tectonic change that this — and other industries — are going through will get time, but Females and Hollywood has been on the forefront of this push for adjust for around a 10 years.
For 11 several years, Gals and Hollywood has been the foremost useful resource that sets the standard and defines the conversation on gender equality. Day in and day out, the web page and our social media accounts gas protection of inequality in Hollywood, amplify women’s voices, and fortify empowering messages in the media.
Extra adjust is coming. We can really feel it. Women of all ages have been employed to immediate huge finances films, Chloé Zhao, Cate Shortland, SJ Clarkson, and Cathy Yan between them.
Other substantial times this yr include things like:
- Greta Gerwig getting to be the fifth female nominated for a greatest director Academy Award
- Ava DuVernay signing a $100 million offer with Warner Brothers
- HBO using the services of intimacy coordinators to operate on its exhibits
- Warner Media placing a company-extensive coverage committed to range and inclusion into outcome
- Jennifer Lee getting named co-director of Disney Animation
- The Inclusion Rider using maintain across the market
- Rachel Morrison turning out to be the initial feminine cinematographer to be nominated for an Oscar
- SAG-AFTRA contacting for a ban on auditions in hotel rooms and residences
- Sexual Harassment and Assault hotlines currently being created in the US, United kingdom, and at the Cannes Film Pageant
- Christina Hodson remaining hired to produce Batgirl movie
- Anita Hill chairing the Fee on Reducing Sexual Harassment and Advancing Equity in the Office
Ladies and Hollywood stored up with the change by relaunching our website with the purpose of partaking filmgoers and filmmakers with news and info that highlights woman filmmakers and agitates for enhanced opportunities for women of all ages in the field. Also, we launched a 2nd e-newsletter, this a person curated, which includes recommendations on movies and Tv demonstrates for the coming 7 days. We also run biweekly crowdfunding options as very well as regular monthly “Writer to Watch” parts, which let us to highlight rising as effectively as established voices.
Other things to do Women of all ages and Hollywood has been concerned with in excess of the earlier year involve:
- Organizing conferences with activists in Cannes and London
- Collaborating in the march of the 82 women of all ages up the stairs at the Cannes Movie Festival
- Doing the job with activists throughout the world to deliver the Gender Parity Pledge to festivals
- Taking part on the steering committee for TheWrap Electricity Women Summit and curating a group of 25 women to take part
- Moderating panels at the Hamptons and Women’s Sporting activities Film Festivals
- Attending Time’s Up Join conference
- Masking the Academy Awards from the push space
- Sustaining ongoing get hold of with reporters and scientists
I want to give a shout out to anyone who allows make Girls and Hollywood operate working day in and day out. I could not do it with no them. To Laura Berger and Rachel Montpelier, who are the guts and working day-to-day ladies who care so deeply about the do the job, I thank them for their appreciate and perseverance. To Mariana Weber, who keeps our existence on social media sturdy, I thank you. To this year’s course of interns, Sophie Willard, Beandrea July, Keno Katsuda, and Antora Majumdar, you are the future and I just cannot hold out to see what you attain.
As we transfer forward into 2019 — and proceed to battle for gender parity and inclusion in the amusement industry — we want to reiterate how significantly we value you, your participation in our result in, and your input.
Thank you for your continued assist and happy vacations.
Founder and Publisher